Dr. Gangrene's Cinetarium airs Saturday Nights at 9pm central on Nashville NECAT Arts CH9. It is also simulcast on the NECAT Roku channel (search for Necat). Or click to watch below.

Tuesday, January 4

Top 5 Horror Films of 2010

It's the start of a new year and the perfect time to look back on the best movies of last year. 2010 was the year of the remakes for me, but in a good way for once. Four out of the five films on my top list were remakes. What does this say for Hollywood? Well, they’ve had plenty of practice adapting other people’s work, so apparently they’ve learned to get it right, because I loved all these remakes…

5. Shutter Island – The only movie on my list that wasn’t a remake is also not a straight horror movie. It’s really more of a psychological thriller with horror elements. Definitely got some creepy moments, though, and is a pretty good, though somewhat implausible, film. But hey, when did I ever let plausibility get in the way of my enjoyment of a movie?

4. Piranha 3d – This is a remake of the 1978 Joe Dante classic . This isn’t the first time this movie has been remade – there was also a 1995 made for TV version (produced by Roger Corman) starring William Katt that wasn’t too bad (I actually hosted that one on my show). This is a bigger budget retelling, set in modern times with more nudity and blood – an honest to goodness exploitation film in 3d! Woo hoo! What’s not to love?!

3. The Crazies – yet another remake on my list – this was an updated version of the 1973 George Romero film, and was, unfortunately, the closest Romero would come to my top films list, his own “Survival of the Dead” falling way short. Romero did serve as a producer on this one, however, so he at least had a hand in it, although how much I’m not sure. This retelling is really well done. Scary, tense – you’d have to be crazy not to enjoy it.

2. Let Me In – American remake of the 2008 Swedish sensation, Let the Right One In. Both versions follow a book called Let me In, and this version is terrific. Very similar to the Swedish film in tone, it even does some things better. Overall I prefer the Swedish version, but this is still an amazing movie and highly recommended.

1. The Wolfman – the Wolfman, while not flawless, was definitely the movie that had the truest classic monster vibe. Rick Baker’s makeup design for the Wolfman was amazing. It was an updated version of the 41 classic – definitely channeling the original but creating a meaner, fiercer version. This was a lot of fun and it was good to have an old fashioned monster movie on the big screen.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say it is refreshing to find someone else who enjoyed The Wolfman. Most of the lists I've read thus far all say it was terrible movie, but I liked it immensely. I thought they did a very good job of keeping the flavor of the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only Hammer's Let Me In would make my top ten list. Visually poetic, unsettling, sinister. The Wolfman was a disappointment, dull acting, unnecessary CGI, and limp story. Will say the chase in London was exciting and wish the movie had more flair like that. The Crazies, dull and formulaic. Shutter Island was stylish but dwelled on it's visual flair (and good but predictable story). Piranha 3D certainly fun, but given the other wonderful horror movies, not a best of for me.

    ReplyDelete