Dr. Gangrene's Cinetarium airs Saturday Nights at 9pm central on Nashville NECAT Arts CH9. It is also simulcast on the NECAT Roku channel (search for Necat). Or click to watch below.

Sunday, May 9

Singing the Tombstone Blues - new daily comic

Back in 1997, two years before I started my gig as a TV horror host,  I was self publishing comic books and put together a book that was a sort of tribute to my favorite horror character, Frankenstein. I had previously written and illustrated short stories and anthologies. But I decided it was time I tried my hand at writing a complete book, and I naturally wanted to do a horror comic. My partner in comics, Chuck Angell, illustrated the book, and the cover was done by Chuck and painted by Eric Powell.


We called it TOMBSTONE BLUES OR DEAD GIRLS NEED LOVE TOO. Now the reason for the double name was basically indecision on our part, or a difference of opinion, whichever you wanna call it. Chuck wanted to name the series "Dead Girls Need Love, Too" to capitalize on the bad girl comic craze that was HUGE at the time, and I wanted to call it "Tombstone Blues" as I was on a big Bob Dylan kick and thought that name made a great title. So the compromise was to use both.

This was the highest selling comic we self-published. I don't remember the numbers exactly but remember it was somewhere over a thousand nationwide. You'll see lots of homages and nods to both FRANKENSTEIN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN in the pages that follow. We published a second issue with a different artist, and finished a third issue that was never published.

I thought I'd share this with the readers of this blog. If it goes over well I'll put issue 2 on here, and perhaps the unpublished third issue too, if interest continues. I also have plenty of these books left, so I'll post them for sale in the store section of this blog if anyone wants an actual copy.

But in the meantime, I'll post a page a day. Enjoy!


Tombstone Blues: Page 1
(click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment